Since stepping back from their senior roles Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have working with civil rights and racial justice groups in a bid to tackle online hate speech. It is understood the Duke and Duchess of Sussex also hope to make the issue a focus of their upcoming nonprofit Archewell. While the launch of Archewell appears to have been delayed by the coronavirus pandemic the Duke and Duchess have shown no signs of slowing down in pursuing what will likely become of its major initiatives.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly approached one of the organisers of the advertising boycott Stop Hate for Profit to see “which brands they could help target”.
The Stop Hate for Profit campaign urges major companies to pull their advertising campaigns from Facebook and Instagram until the company takes action to stop the spread of hate speech.
So far the campaign has garnered the support of Coca Cola and Unilever and Meghan and Harry have now offered to help reach out to other firms.
Jim Steyer, who is chief executive of the charity Common Sense Media and a lecturer on civil liberties at Stanford University, told The Times: “They are outspoken advocates of Stop Hate for Profit and we appreciate that.
Meghan Markle and Harry to boost ‘hate speech’ advertising boycott by ‘targeting’ brands
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly contacted the Stop Hate for Profit campaign
“We are gratified that they have spoken out. This is a multiracial couple that has dealt with hate speech and racist statements, so the fact they want to be part of the Stop Hate for Profit movement is terrific, and now they are thinking of their own kids.”
Facebook shares dropped £45billion ($56billion) last Friday after major companies pulled their advertisements.
That same day CEO Mark Zuckerberg promised action on hate speech and a warning label was also placed on a Republican National Committee (RNC) video.
A spokeswoman for Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday said the Facebook Chief Executive has agreed to meet with the organisers of the boycott.
READ MORE: Prince Harry warned Queen ‘will be watching’ next step Duke takes
Meghan and Harry at their last engagement in the UK before carving out their new life in the US
Over the weekend Meghan also reached out to a victim of an alleged hate crime in Madison, Wisconsin with a lengthy phone call.
Last week Althea Bernstein, 18, said she had attacked by a group of white men who threw lighter fluid and a lighter on her while “yelling racial slurs”.
The police are investigating the incident as a hate crime, according to local media.
The call was co-ordinated by Michael Johnson, CEO of Boys and Girls Club of Dane County after Meghan reached out to him after hearing Ms Bernstein’s story.
Meghan Markle confuses fans with unexpected never-before-seen picture [PICTURES]
Prince Harry’s spending helped spark Prince William fall-out – claim [EXPLOSIVE NEW BOOK]
The subtle clue Meghan Markle would always prioritise happiness [REVEAL]
Meghan Markle speaks to children during her last engagement in the UK as a senior royal
He told Madison-based Channel 3000: “Her and Meghan talked about the importance of self care and allowing herself to heal.
The pair also spoke about staying off social media to avoid negative messages and being mixed race, according to the CEO of the organisation which supports young people in Madison.
Mr Johnson said Ms Bernstein’s conversation with Meghan “lifted her spirits” as she had been “struggling”.
Prince Harry also joined the phone call for around 10 minutes.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry officially stepped down on March 31 after winding down royal duties
Mr Johnson also revealed Meghan was keen to do more work with the Boys and Girls Club of Dane County and asked him to let her know when he wanted her to “come back and talk to people in Wisconsin”.
Meghan and Harry have been carving out a new life in the US in a way that “would have been pretty impossible” if they had remained senior royals.
The Duchess has been able to return to advocacy roots and last month to her students from her old high school Immaculate Heart in the wake of George Floyd’s death.
The Duchess broke her silence on the matter in a video to students, saying: “I wasn’t sure what I could say to you. I wanted to say the right thing and I was really nervous that it would get picked apart.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are currently living in Los Angeles
“And I realised the only wrong thing to say is to say nothing.”
Meghan added: “George Floyd’s life mattered and Breonna Taylor’s life mattered and Philando Castile’s life mattered and Tamir Rice’s life mattered.”
The Queen former press secretary Dickie Arbiter said Meghan’s speech “would have been pretty impossible” while still being a senior royal.
Facebook’s UK head, Steve Hatch, when questioned on the BBC’s Today programme on Tuesday about how on the day protests over the killing of George Floyd began the top post in the US called racially motivated policing a “myth”, said: “We have no tolerance on our platform for hate speech. Of course, it’s incredibly hard and upsetting to read that but equally, whether it is directed at creating hate, and real world harm in particular.
“The way that we define real-world harm is if it’s going to create imminent risk to people.”